About 80% of jobs in the US involve sedentary activities. Unfortunately, this is bad news when it comes to our health and posture.
However, specific stretches and exercises can help balance our activity level and combat the issues of sitting all day. Here are four of the best stretches to help relieve your symptoms.
1. Cat Cow Pose
This pose is excellent for stretching your spine and releasing built-up back tension. It’s also great for strengthening your abdominal area and opening your chest.
Follow these steps to get the maximum benefits from these combined poses:
- Start on the floor with your hands shoulder-width apart and your knees in line with your hips
- Inhale while curving your spine and gently lifting your head upwards, and tilting your pelvis
- While exhaling, arch your back while lowering your head and pelvis
2. Torso Stretch
This move helps ease back pain, aids digestion, and improves muscle strength. It also helps open up the shoulders and relieve any tension they may be holding.
Here are the steps to correctly do the torso stretch:
- Stand with your back completely straight, your feet hip-width apart, and your head up
- Tighten your abs while inhaling and stretch your hands above your head with your fingers laced together
- While exhaling, lean to one side without twisting your torso and hold
- Inhale as you move back to an upright position
- Repeat steps three and four on the other side
3. Neck Stretch
When you’re sitting all day, it’s not unusual to eventually have a stiff neck. This stretch can help release any tension in your neck and shoulders:
- While seated, reach down and hold onto the bottom of the seat
- Tilt your head to one side and hold for 30 seconds
- Repeat on the other side
4. Bridge Pose
This pose helps strengthen your back, glutes, and hamstrings. It also helps stretch your chest, neck, and spine while opening your rib cage and helps to improve your breathing.
Here are the steps to safely achieve this pose:
- Start by laying on the floor flat on your back with your feet hip-width apart
- Your knees should be right above your ankles
- While inhaling, lift your hips while stretching your tailbone toward your knees
- Keep your inner thighs inward while positioning your arms like you’re holding a beach ball underneath neath you
- Use your outer shoulders to press into the floor
- Hold this pose for approximately 30 seconds, keeping slow, steady breaths
- While slowly exhaling, lower yourself back down to the starting position
- Repeat two to three times
Fix Back Problems From Sitting All Day
In severe cases, a stretching routine may not be enough to fix the problem. In this case, you may need to find an experienced chiropractor.
A chiropractor can better understand what is causing your problems and help you fix them.
Stay Healthy With Us
If you’re sitting all day, these four stretches can help keep your back and other joints flexible and pain-free. However, in more severe cases, you may need to enlist the help of a chiropractor or physical therapist.
If this short guide helps, share it on social media with your friends! Don’t forget to check out our other great articles on our blog, too.